Tuesday 7 September 2010

a gorgeous new house/barn (or three)

Mr A and I took the bambinos to Hove last week. We had ice creams, dipped our toes in the sea, and went to the zoo (I know, I know, I'm not keen on animals in captivity either, but when you are 5 and two seeing a monkey with a bright red bottom is still funny - it gets worse, I had to go on a Thomas the Tank engine train ride and wave energetically to a life size plastic Fat Controller, afterwards Min broke it to me gently that the FC wasn't real, desperately trying not to hurt my feelings. A bit like the time she said very politely that I probably shouldn't go jogging anymore because when I came back I didn't look very well.) so a good time was had by all. And on the way home we took a slight (3 hour) detour to visit some Border Oak projects currently underway. Both houses were stunning and I will share the second when I find the lead to upload pics - here is the first......

I already knew I was going to like this one as the drawings were great - but it was much nicer than even I had imagined.
It is a complex of barn type buildings, designed to look as if they are the outbuildings in the grounds of the house next door. The buildings are actually divided into three units (three beds each). I was particularly taken by the subtlety of the overall scheme but also the brilliant details and quirks that have made each 'unit' quite unique. And we have used lovely materials throughout so it al hangs together perfectly - vernacular but not pastiche.

The brick section will be one house, with an amazing garden room with wrap around oak framing with glazed panels. The weather boarded part is another 3 bed house and has a glazed central hall and a protruding sunroom. The third house sits at right angles to this and is attached by an oak covered walkway.

I know I am utterly biased but the quality of workmanship on Border Oak projects impresses me every time. I really like these little windows, and the bricks, mortar, lead flashing and arch detail make it a real point of interest. Fabulous.

This 'lean to' breaks up the flat and long elevation brilliantly and as it is glazed on three sides it makes a huge difference to the light and interplay with the eventual garden. I love the extra covered bit at the end too - a lovely place to have a chair and enjoy an Earl Grey.

This is the inside of the vaulted, wrap around, oak frame. I think the space will be amazing, and you can already see that the light will stream through and also give a little glimpse of who is coming and going. Perfect if you are a nosey neighbour like me.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! My serious case of house envy is getting worse! I'm definitely going to have to build my own.

    How is the painting going In preparation for your open day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it - it was even nicer in the flesh......painting is going slowly (ie hasn't started!!) but I will get the brushes and roller out on the weekend and really try. The de-clutter is going much better as I am able to squirrel away lots of old broken and awful toys while Min is at school. The one bin bag has an old jigsaw in and it keeps making animal noises so I hope the bin men don't get suspicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is amazing..thanks for sharing the same.
    Interesting,you have best collection of House
    Plans
    ,Home Plans, Floor Plans and Home Designs from top architects and designers.

    ReplyDelete